For now, here’s the recipe. Pictures coming!
Sweet Potato Casserole
Rich creamy sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows and brown sugar-pecan streusel
- 7 lbs sweet potatoes (6-8 medium)
- 5 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ t ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp sugar (use to taste)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ½ C half-and-half
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6 C marshmallows, cut in half (these toast better than mini-marshmallows)
Cook the Sweet Potatoes
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke sweet potatoes several times with paring knife and space evenly on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake potatoes, turning them once, until they are very tender and can be squeezed easily with tongs, 1 to 1 1/2 hours (or 45 minutes for small sweet potatoes).
- Remove potatoes from oven and cut in half lengthwise to let steam escape; cool at least 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Once potatoes have cooled slightly, use spoon to scoop flesh into large bowl; you should have about 8 cups. Transfer half of potato flesh to food processor. Using rubber spatula, break remaining potato flesh in bowl into coarse 1-inch chunks.
Prepare the Filling
- Add melted butter, salt, nutmeg, pepper, vanilla, and lemon juice to potatoes in stand mixer and process until smooth, about 20 seconds. Taste for sweetness, then add up to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar if necessary. Once sweetened to taste, add yolks.
- With processor running, pour half-and-half through feed tube and process until blended, about 20 seconds; transfer to bowl with potato pieces and stir gently until combined.
- Pour filling into prepared baking dish and spread into even layer with spatula. [At this point, the mixture can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before cooking.]
- Bake until heated through and slightly puffy around edges, 30 minutes.
Add the Topping
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pecans. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Top with half the marshmallows, then sprinkle half the streusel over the marshmallows. Top with the other half of the marshmallows and sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top.
- Place back into the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the topping is bubbly and brown (watch to make sure the marshmallows don’t burn). To add a little more color to the marshmallows, you can broil very briefly.